Monday, April 19, 2010

Yup, still here!

So, relaxing was nice, that's true!

But we quickly lost our sanity...

Only to be saved by some very nice elders,

and a trip to one of my favorite places in the whole world!

I went to church in a full out chapel for the first time in four months! And it was all still in Romanian!! I thought I'd said my last goodbye to church (and the hymns) in Romanian, but there I was. I was pretty much in heaven. Not to mention the fact that our lesson was on Joseph in Egypt and how he turned the irritations in his life into blessings. We all chuckled at how it was all so perfectly directed towards us. I'm truly blessed to have a Father in Heaven who understands me. Because, really I wouldn't say this has reached the full status of a "trial" or "affliction" really. Though the sight of the eruption is intimidating, I'm no where near it and I'm comfortably sitting in a hotel room chatting with family and friends. It's just a major irritation and frustration that our long awaited plans to see so much have been foiled. But, as our sweet primary teacher taught us (that's right, we were in primary because it's taught in English with all the Americans haha) that it's all about our attitudes towards those irritations in life. So I didn't get to go to Paris, Italy, Prague, or Switzerland...I suppose worse things have happened and maybe I will get another chance someday. There are some real pros to being here in Romania still. I've realized (though it was absolutely no surprise) that I really am not ready to be done with Romania. Then again, I'll probably never be. And though I'm turning a tiny bit green with jealousy that one friend of mine is still back in Iasi with all our friends, I am grateful to be where I'm at because reopening all of that would be tough. Saying goodbye once was hard enough. I suppose I'll never be done with Iasi, or Romania, so I'm glad for the chance to hold onto it all a little longer.

The drive back to the hotel after church was great fun!

Every fountain had been dyed red in honor of "Hemophilia Awareness Day"...random.Here we have the "Arc de Triumful" of Romania. A little fun surprise on the drive, Romania's own version of the famous Arc in Paris...glad I got to see at least one!

Isn't it just beautiful? Spring is definitely the best season of the year. While leaning over Erika to take this picture, she said "Camille, you always take pictures of the most random things!" My response: "LOOK at those flowers, and the green grass! How is that random at all?" I love all of the green everywhere, and wish I were closer to the city so that I could explore and go to the awesome park we passed.

Anyway, we were also kindly fed dinner by an American family we met in the branch who have been living here for a few years. We ate such wonderful, American tasting food. RANCH DRESSING! And Oreos...oh happy day. They were so kind to us, and their kids were a ton of fun. I did have to stop myself multiple times from talking to them in Romanian though, seems as though I'd forgotten how to talk to kids in my own language haha. It sure was nice though at the same time. The whole night was a lot of fun, and the entire day I was so grateful to have friends anywhere in the world that I may be stranded.

So, until further notice I am still in Bucuresti just trying to get the soonest flight out! We've accepted the fact that our five country backpacking trip is no longer a reality, and now are just focusing on getting to Frankfurt, where a good friend's family is ready to take us in. If all goes well we should be on a plane there tomorrow afternoon! Of course, the chances are still high that won't happen...and the 36 hour train ride it would take to get us there doesn't sound too inviting either. Plus, who knows if we could even book a train?

Icelandic volcano...what in the world?! Crazy sauce. European travel is a battleground at the moment, I'm grateful to be here safe in a hotel with my friends!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read your blog for a few days! Now I know all of the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babes! I really am glad that you are safe and I'm sure you will get to see those places another time. It's so funny that you mention ranch dressing...the Leonards had us bring them some when we visited because you can't get the stuff in Europe:-) Excited to see you in 3 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the luck. Sorry about your being stuck. That is no fun, but you will always have a fun story to tell when you get home! Don't worry if you have to take the train. I took the train multiple times from SLC to Chicago and I actually really enjoyed it. It was really nice to be able to see the countryside as we rolled along the tracks. I would HIGHLY recommend the train if you get the chance. Maybe it would make up a little bit for not being able to go where you were planning.
    Anyway my prayers are with you! I have a friend stuck in England as well. Things sure are getting interesting on this little place called earth aren't they?

    ~JaNean

    ReplyDelete