Thursday, January 21, 2010

Here Comes the Sun....?

About a month or so ago I was having an argument with a friend about how cloud cover keeps temperatures warmer. All I can say is, it feels good to be right! Saturday morning we woke up so excited, the sun had come out! It was the first time I'd seen any blue sky in Romania and we were so excited. So we headed out to take pictures and just get out of the apartment. I was outside for about five minutes and couldn't handle it any longer! Here's a picture that Ally took of me, seriously frozen with a tiny scarf. After going back to the apartment and loading up on layers (the works, including long underwear!) here I am much happier in the same spot (that's our apartment building right behind me). But even with all of those layers, I still could only handle a little walk.

Since then it's only gotten worse. We are experiencing the coldest temperatures in 15 years, and the warning color is orange. Orange!! They say you should only go out for necessities, food and water. Current temperatures are around -18 degrees and will reach almost -30 tonight. I have never felt cold like this before! This morning walking to church...oh wow it was crazy. Frozen nose hairs are only the beginning. The cold bites into you, every step I took it felt like tiny needles were stabbing my ankle bones. And get this; when the cold air hits my face my eyes water and I cry. It's been that way my whole life, only here it's the worst thing that could happen! The tears literally froze to my face this morning, and I had ice droplets on my eyelashes that I went and picked off in the mirror in the church. Talk about crazy! Remind me why I came here in the winter again? Nah, it's an adventure and now I'll forever be able to say that I've experienced weather so cold that when you look into the sunlight you can see the ice crystals in the air. It's beautiful, but a bit hard to appreciate when you can't ignore the fact that it's hard to tell anyone because your face is frozen. Good times! Oh, and the pack of dogs that walked to church with us this morning was pretty exciting too. No joke, there were at least 14 dogs! But that's another topic for another day. I'll post some more pictures soon :)

Cu drag!

5 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I have seen you tears of coldness many, many times. Frozen huh? Please can I see a picture of that?
    One thing's for sure, I would be such a wimp in that kind of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, typo! I meant "those" not "you"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a picture of it so bad! I totally would have put it on, but none of us brought our cameras to church. Maybe it'll happen again sometime and then I will definitely be ready with the camera. P.S. Janet's last blog post...woah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey, Rexburg is exactly the same weather that you are experiencing! When it's 20 degrees outside you wear a light jacket! :) it's funny how you can tell a slight difference in the weather by a couple of degrees! It looks like you are having a blast!! love the pictures!

    love hannah jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are ok with the cold.... I would die!

    Have fun on your adventure!!

    Love,

    JaNean

    ReplyDelete