Friday, January 15, 2010

Culture Shock...for real people.


So, here we are sitting in the living room discussing how best to deal with the difficulties that we all face with our research and culture shock etc. It's such a real thing! Christine commented that she thought "I'll be the one in a million who isn't affected by it" and we all just laughed. There is no way it can be avoided, although it still hasn't hit me like a sledge hammer quite yet. Wait, I take that back, the first day it kinda did. Since then however, I seriously have found myself adjusting. The first day I felt so much irritation with things. Just to give some background knowledge they say that there are four generally accepted stages of culture shock: honeymoon, irritation, gradual adjustment, and biculturalism. Now, these are not set in stone. They can easily interchange, but they help to outline the feelings one has. Stage 2 happened for me at first. The toilet and fridge don't work. Everywhere smells weird, there's no microwave (I need my beans!!), everything is different. Now I feel as though I'm entering the honeymoon stage :) I got excited about the prospect of figuring out how to heat the leftover pasta, and the eggs here are so fresh and delicious!! I love the branch members already, and I've only been to the villa (where the branch meets) twice. Yesterday we went for a game night, and tonight we went to institute. I love listening to the language and although I can only understand the gist of things I love the excitement I feel when I understand. It's silly that I've only been here two days and can already tell how hard it's going to be for me to say goodbye in three months. I had another exciting find today, we met a friend in the branch named Mihai who speaks perfect English and is really helpful to all of us. We asked him, and it sounds like he's got some extra time and he'll be happy to either translate or help me find someone who can for me. Words cannot express how much that lifts a burden for me. Being here is intimidating and finding a friend is marvelous. Seriously though, I am really excited tonight for the adventures that are waiting for me. Tomorrow we are going to go map out the city and traipse around town, which will be fun, and cold! It's snowed every day since we flew in, but I love the snow as always. It makes everything pretty :) Need proof? Heres the view from our apartment the other night, the Christmas lights are still up...

Anyway, back to culture shock. There is no way to avoid it, but I went a bit backwards, and stage 1 is feeling great! Here's my first golgosi (goalgosh) from the street vendor. It's a yummy dessert, kind of like a donut/scone but even better. SO GOOD!

Our taxi to the mall to go on a shopping spree (for groceries, don't worry Mom)...

More than anything and despite the shock I'm dealing with, I'm learning to just figure things out and find a way when a challenge arises. No fridge? Well who needs one when you've got a window sill? :)


Today I'm feeling good and to the future I say "Da, eu pot!" (Yes, I can!...no reference to President Obama...it bugs that he stole that phrase).

Cu drag!

No comments:

Post a Comment